Allen was the son of Joseph Allen and Lucy (nee Burgess) Allen and was raised in Pine Bluff, AR.
Allen played with the Butte Colored Giants in 1936 and the El Dorado Black Lions? in 1937.
2 Multiple sources also indicate Allen played the Birmingham Barons around 1940.
He was also an All-American quarterback for AM&N college before coaching the football program at the school from 1942-1951. Allen was inducted into the Southwestern Athletic Conference Hall of Fame in 1999.6
Allen died on May 16th, 1989 in Los Angeles, CA.7
2. Chicago Defender, 8/7/1937, p.19
3. Arkansas State Press, 9/4/1959
4. Taylor Field: A Diamond in the Rough, By George A. Lea, 2008
5. Untold Stories: Black Sport Heroes Before Integration, by Darren Ivy and Jeff Krupsaw. 2002.
6. "Allen, Eight Others Inducted into SWAC Hall of Fame", Birmingham News, 12/10/1999