Loading...
 

Crump Park

Crump Park was a Negro baseball park in Little Rock, AR. The field was home of the Little Rock Greys of the Negro Southern League, as well as various other Negro baseball teams in Little Rock during the 1930s and ‘40s. The field was located at 33rd and States streets in Little Rock and may also have been known as Hard Scramble Park and George Sims Park.

History

Crump Park was named after Arthur Crump, who helped organize recreation for the youth of the mostly African-American community. Crump also owned a store across the street from the ballfield.

Exactly when the park opened and closed, or what kind of structural features it had, is relatively unknown. However, Byron “Mex” Johnson, once a shortstop for the Kansas City Monarchs, as well as a Little Rock native, listed Crump Park among the ballfields in the city with at least some bleachers.

Crump Park reached its high level of significance in 1932 when the first and only ‘major league’ team in Arkansas called the field home. That year, the Little Rock Greys played in the Negro Southern League, which operated is a major Negro baseball league. However, Little Rock pulled out of the league in mid-season with a losing record.

The ballpark no longer stands, but Crump Park is now recognized as a Little Rock city park. Recreational football and baseball fields are now present on the site.

Table of contents: